Thursday 15 January 2009

1980 - Atlantic Surfer #6 - 75p

Atlantic-Surfer-6-PhilClifford-VS-ad-1979This is a scan from Atlantic Surfer Number 6... its a Vitamin Sea advert whose relevance lies to the left of the picture, featuring the Aku-Shaping machine expert and long time board manufacturing guru... One of the 1960,s early 70,s crew on Boscombe pier and one of the original surfers of Broad Bench at Kimmeridge Dorset .  He cut his teeth at J-Bay and later with a career spanning Vitamin Sea, Rockit, and now NS Boards at the Ocean Magic factory in  Newquay... the one, the only, and still 5 fin cinco-system champion of the World....  .Phil Clifford

For those who are interested the man in the middle is Tad Ciastula, and the one on the right is Chris Jones (CJ) and his dog "Bean" (RIP).

I'd like to claim the photo was taken by me in my "summer of resin" but that was  a year later so it was probably by Tad's wife Sue. Whilst I'm on the subject of Tad - sorry for being a little sh*t on occasions Tad - it was because you built me that potato chip as a "present" for working all summer but then took my original board in exchange. However I should have told you I felt ripped off rather than stewing on it and then buying a Martin Geary just to spite you. Phew - glad that's off my chest I've been carrying that for 29 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment